Controller (Posted July 22, 2011)
The mission of the National Academy Foundation (NAF) is to sustain a national network of career academies to support the development of America's youth toward personal and professional success in high school, in higher education, and throughout their careers. Functioning as dynamic partnerships, NAF serves more than 50,000 students in approximately 500 academies in 41 states and the District of Columbia each year. NAF's success in raising the standard of academic and financial achievement among young people – especially among underperforming students – has garnered the endorsement of corporations, public policy makers, and foundations, such as the Gates Foundation.
The National Academy Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Controller is a vital member of NAF's Finance Department at the New York office and is responsible for directing the organization's accounting function. These functions include establishing and maintaining the organization's accounting principles, practices, procedures and initiatives. S/he manages the day to day maintenance of the General Ledger, supervision of the A/P and A/R functions, as well as being the point person on grant reporting that ensures compliance with contractual requirements. Prepares financial reports and presents findings and recommendations to top management. This position reports to the CFO and requires a detail-oriented, highly motivated and organized individual who has experience with Great Plains Accounting software.
The individual must be able to work independently, problem solve and quickly develop a strong understanding of specific grant requirements as well as build working relationships with staff based in the headquarters and around the country. S/he must thrive in a fast-paced, "all hands on deck" work environment in which flexibility is expected. Good communication skills a must.
Financial Management (40%)
- Develop and implement accounting procedures and policies with the CFO
- Direct general and property accounting, cost accounting, and budgetary control
- Maintain the General Ledger in accordance with GAAP, FASB, IRS and non-profit requirements
- Assist the CFO in the preparation of reports of Financial Position, P&L, and Cash Flow for presentation to the Finance Committe and Board of Directors
- Participate with Fund Development in the development and tracking of all grant applications, public and private
- Assist CFO in developing strategic and long-term finance goals and regulatory compliance reporting
- Act as financial advisor to the CFO by providing financial analysis, planning, and budget control
- Adhere to best practices and industry-standards of internal controls and risk managment in order to safeguard organizational assets
- Monitor and report on cash management
- Assist CFO in budget development and tracking
- Supervise the Accounts Payable and Account Receivable functions and appraise staff performance
Grants Accounting (40%)
- Handle all phases of grant accounting including budgeting, analysis and reporting
- Work closely with the Program and Fund Development staff to develop and implement grant managment procedures
- Set up and maintain financial data and ensure proper coding for grant expenditures and restricted funds in the Great Plains Accounting software
- Ensure compliance with all contractual obligations for all grants and restricted funds
- Act as liaison between the Development team and the Finance team in order to ensure accurate and consistent sharing of financial data between the two departments
- Prepare budget to actual comparisons for grants, with variances noted and explained
- Regular reconciliations with the program staff on grant fund balances
Audit Support (20%)
- Help prepare the required audit schedules in order to faciliate the preparation and issuance of the Annual Audit report
- Assist with internal and external audits
- CPA or MBA degree
- Proficiency in Great Plains Dynamics (version 10.0)
- Proficiency in Excel
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of "best practices" in financial accounting, audits, and maintenance of the general ledger
- Self starter with good organization skills and the ability to work independently
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to pay attention to details
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Ability to communicate with individuals at all levels within the organization and outside the organization
- Ability to lead and direct the work of others
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please be sure to include Controller in the subject line.